Hope House Home for Boys

The cards that I sell here in Chapala and Ajijic, Mexico benefit the dental program for the boys at Hope House in the nearby village of Ixlahuacan. There are close to 30 boys at the home and many of them come to the home having received no dental treatment. If you live here at Lakeside and would like to order a quality, hand crafted card for a special occasion and help me contribute to this worthy cause, please e-mail me at bettyinchapala@yahoo.com Card price is 50 pesos; the entire sales price is donated to Hope House.

Followers -- Some of my favorite people!

Friday, July 13, 2012

A Visit to Mezcala

I'm sharing a link to my web album with pictures of our visit yesterday morning to the home of our friends Jose and Marta who live in the nearby village of Mezcala.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117097305471329563789/AVisitToJoseMarthaInMezcalaJuly122012?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2jtInyzun9Aw

We were invited to breakfast and our lovely hostess had prepared enough food to feed an army! Included on the buffet were scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, bacon, sausage, fruit, veggies, several types of breads, an apple and pineapple salad, juice and coffee. And my oh my, was it all delicious! Do we have good friends, or what????

They gave us a tour of their property which sits right on the lake. There is a concrete dock where they can sit and enjoy the lake and a large brick barbeque grill nearby. The grounds have so many interesting plants and trees. Weeping willows, ficus, and many fruit bearing trees; three different types of plumeria (the flowers that they make leis from in Hawaii); gosh, I can't even remember everything I saw! There was one plant that looked like it was left over from the times of the dinosaurs -- and the leaves felt like felt! They had many avocado trees and a very young papaya tree. One of the pictures has Larry holding the trunk of a plant that had been pulled up from the ground and laid against a fence. But you can't keep a good plant down -- you can see from the picture that it had leafed (is that a word?) out after being pulled up!

We were shown a green leafy plant and were told that it was edible; you can cook it up just like spinach. Jose gathered a bag full for us and we put it to good use last night. I sauteed it in oil with a little salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and sesame seeds and served it along with salmon, corn, and lettuce and tomato salad. Yum!


Well, hope you enjoyed the visit to Mezcala with Jose and Marta -- we certainly did!

Betty

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Betty,
Your picture makes me so hungry!!! I signed the petition.
That depression thing has been making the rounds I had a really bad bout the past few months. I cried just thinking about getting up. I hope you can pull yourself out soon. Try getting a gander at Flourishes new release. They have some wonderful pretty samples. Until then take care!

Theresa Momber said...

Thanks for the description and the photos. I love hearing about your life in Mexico.

The Other Patti Sue said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all! Nothing better than good friends and good food!

Payne Holler Cards said...

It all looks so delish, patty is so right!