Hope House Home for Boys

The cards that I sell here in Chapala and Ajijic, Mexico benefit the dental program for the boys at Hope House in the nearby village of Ixlahuacan. There are close to 30 boys at the home and many of them come to the home having received no dental treatment. If you live here at Lakeside and would like to order a quality, hand crafted card for a special occasion and help me contribute to this worthy cause, please e-mail me at bettyinchapala@yahoo.com Card price is 50 pesos; the entire sales price is donated to Hope House.

Followers -- Some of my favorite people!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Roses December Challenge -- Collage Card



edited to add: Sue Rose just posted her card for the December challenge -- that means it's already Jan. 1 and the first Sunday of the month (and year) in Australia!! So here's my card, too......

The lovely and talented Sue Rose gave us our challenge for December -- a collage card! And there were several stipulations -- we had to use a vintage image, lace, ribbon, glitter and one recycled thing.

I had to get started on this one early because it definitely took me out of my box! I didn't have to look too far for the vintage graphics -- The Graphics Fairy has the most beautiful vintage images. Don't know why I went with the sewing theme because I certainly am not an accomplished seamstress! But that sweet little girl with the creamy ivory dress called my name and I couldn't pass her up! Also found the thread image and the fancy scissors at The Graphics Fairy.

Next came the lace and ribbon -- found both in my stash and adhered the ribbon to the edge of the lace and then threw in a row of pearls for good measure (measure -- get the pun?). Also "tied" a little ribbon bow to the scissors.

I used two recycled things rather than just one -- the buttons are from my mother's button jar. As a kid I used to use these larger buttons to build the outline of a house and then picked out my favorite buttons to be friends and family! (remember when you used to have to "imagine" for play time?)

Now, I had to stretch it a bit for the glitter and I hope it gets past the challenge police! The thin gold thread that I threaded through the button holes has a glittery look to them. The threads are so fine that you probably have to squint to even see them but they are glittery!!

What a way to end the old year and start the new -- I was very pleased with how this card turned out; will try to do one or two vintage cards each month this year! Be sure to check out all the other Roses; I'm sure there will be some fabulous creations -- the links are in my sidebar!

Betty


16 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

GoRgOuS GF! Love the vintage feel! Have a Happy New Year!

Colleen said...

Betty,
This is absolutely amazing. I love everything about this one. Stunning!

A Consuming Passion said...

Ooohhh Betty......this is just beautiful!!! I love the sewing theme you chose. The gorgeous cream background, beautiful lace and pearls. Vintage buttons look amazing and I can see the sparkle in the thread....awesome~ Whoever receives this card will love it for sure. Hmm I'm thinking maybe a regular post of vintage cards might be the way to make a change for 2012! Thank you! Happy New Year!

craftieodmae said...

WOWZERS!!!!! breathtaking, eye popping jaw dropping gorgeous!!!!!! You have been holding out, you do vintage awesome!!!!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Oh Betty, I just love the vintage sewing theme! With this whole antique button collection staring me in the face here, I almost went in that direction. I am so glad I left it to you! This is gorgeous!

Selma said...

Betty you definitely did a great job creating a vintage card. This is gorgeous. I love those scissors. Happy New Year my friend.

dee marie said...

Hi Betty!! Happy New Year! I love your vintage card and the little girl is too sweet! I hope all is well with you! I am hoping from blog to blog to try and catch up :) Trying to make my comeback! Talk to you soon! dee

Theresa's Studio said...

Happy New Year, Betty! Love your card for the Roses challenge...you do vintage very well! Best wishes in 2012...enjoy your new location ...no more moving in the new year! Hugs from your friend.

Caroline D. said...

Great vintage themed card!! Found The Roses group via Olga. :o)

redwasher1 said...

WOW!!! What a beautiful vintage card!! Happy New Year!!!!

Jane K said...

I love your vintage sewing theme with the lace ruffles, pearls and embellishments.

J x

Eileen said...

Your card is gorgeous. All of your items looks so ut together. Love how it looks, so old fashioned, and romantic.
Eileen @ Cottage Beach House

mundo-angela.blogspot.com said...

¡Precioso!muy bonito y nostálgico. Muchos besos, Angela.

Payne Holler Cards said...

fell in love with vintage last year and really trying to learn all I can..this is beautiful! your layout is awesome and perfect embellishments! going to checkout that site TFS
hope you get to play with vintage over at Sugar Creek Hollow (-:

LeAnne said...

Just gorgeous! I love vintage AND sewing, so this is one of my favs!

Melisa Waldorf said...

FAbulous vintage card my friend! Congrats on your feature!