Hope House Home for Boys

The cards that I sell here in Chapala and Ajijic, Mexico benefit the dental program for the boys at Hope House in the nearby village of Ixlahuacan. There are close to 30 boys at the home and many of them come to the home having received no dental treatment. If you live here at Lakeside and would like to order a quality, hand crafted card for a special occasion and help me contribute to this worthy cause, please e-mail me at bettyinchapala@yahoo.com Card price is 50 pesos; the entire sales price is donated to Hope House.

Followers -- Some of my favorite people!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Cowboy Card




Hello all! I had so much fun making this card. It sent me down "Memory Lane" and I'll tell you more about that later. I have used the sketch from Repeat Impressions and will also enter this into the challenge at Catered Crop to use a button or buttons.

The image is the same that I used a couple of days ago from Digital Two for Tuesday; I printed two at the same time so I had another to work with. I used leather textured paper from Sizzix and did some paper piercing on it; I then added a button that has a leather look. The image was also matted with the leather look paper. It is all mounted on an ivory cardbase.

Okay, here's where I go off on a tangent. Who remembers the tv western "The Virginian" which ran from 1962 - 1971? Trampas was my favorite character and I got to thinking that he fell in love with a sweet little thing on the next ranch over from Shiloh and she made this for him, using cowhide, of course. He hung it up beside his cot in the bunkhouse and looked at it every evening before going to sleep. Unlike all the story lines on the tv shows, however, sweet Betsy does not get sick and die, nor do bad guys shoot her and she does not survive. Trampas saves the life of Betsy's father and he then helps them get their own little ranch, they get married  ...........


(wordart from Ginger's House)

Thanks for putting up with my flight of fancy,
Betty

11 comments:

craftieodmae said...

Betty this is gorgeous, love how you framed that beautiufl image!!!!

Myrna said...

Betty
This is priceless. Love your story as well. We think a lot alike you and I. :)
Myrna

Sharon said...

Betty,

I read about your sewing notions card on the Graphics Fairy this morning and I love, love, love it!!! I am crazy over old buttons and sewing notions.

I hope you won't mind that I wrote about your card and blog on my blog today. http://corgisinmygarden.blogspot.com/

You might enjoy seeing my recent post about Valentines I've been making.

Ginger said...

LOL! I love your story (especially the ending) We all need more happily ever afters in our lives!

Your card is gorgeous!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

You crack me up, Ms Betty! I sure do love this card. Might have to go check it out!

Patti P. said...

I do remember that show and many more westerns, they are my favorite shows to still watch today and I love your story, sometimes we just need a happy ending. Love the card, I could see the leather in your card even before reading the details. Beautiful job!

The Other Patti Sue said...

You crack me up... maybe you should become a play write! Super awesome card and it does have a western feel!

dee marie said...

Hi Betty! I love your card - so simple and elegant. The button detail is perfect! Thanks for sharing the story - I just love happy endings :)

Theresa's Studio said...

Great take on tis sketch. Lovely card . Enjoyed your story...I too was a fan of The Virginian.

Colleen said...

Betty,
Yes, I remember the Virginian too. I sure do love your ending better. This is a beautiful card it sure would warm up that bunk house.

Kym Weber said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Betty! Love how antique this looks! So old and sentimental!